News about the 4th edition of the Festival that will take place in Berlin all through the year 2008. The information about the former editions that were held on 22-26 november 2006, 13-22 february 2007 and 1-29 august, 2007 are still to be found somewhere in the jungle of this blop.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Harold Schellinx on Chris Hearns preformance

Chris is a young guy from Australia doing - in his own words - "experimental pop/noise sort of stuff". When he arrived in Berlin, in the course of a year Chris had been performing already far over a hundred times, on a long non-stop tour taking him through the United States, New Zealand and Europe. On this trip Chris has been recording his 'moving', in a spirit pretty similar to the one I describe above. With handheld cassette recording devices, onto old cassettes.
It was with these and a set of old cassette players that he performed on the Day of the Sound Story Telling, in Monty in the Lenbacherstraße, just around the corner from Takt. And so, yes, Chris' sound story was a travelogue, a floating mix built up from lo-fi recordings made at different airports and train stations, in different countries, in different cities. And in Paris, together with the sonic peculiarities of its metro tunes and metro door openings and closings, the street organs playing the 'usual suspects' in tourist areas, all easy to pick out of the mix, as it sounded so much like that what's on many of the items in my own cassette archive ...

The equipment together with the sound material used made the 'piece' that Chris performed at Monty feel very familiar to me, and I regularly found me nodding me head in a fully affirmative 'yes! ... yes!' and whispering 'right on!', all by myself. Yeah, this was the music of my streets and my cities, of my stations and underground's.
Chris, he had been there.

His was a story that felt like home.


read more here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home